Monday, 1 August 2016

Ghostbusters 2016: The Film I Needed 10 Years Ago

Dear Paul Feig, Melissa McCarthy, Kate McKinnon, Leslie Jones, Kristen Wiig, and every other individual involved with the creation of Ghostbusters 2016,

Thank you. Thank you for creating an example to girls, like myself, that they can be smart, funny and badass without the need for sexy clothing, competition and objectification. 

gif credit: Giphy
Girl power is so relevant right now and this film came just in time. We live in a generation of being competitive and I see too many people trying to out do others. What happened to sisterhood? To being happy for other's successes, encouraging our friends to do well and being so happy when they made it. I see too much negativity online because people are comparing themselves to others and trying to outdo each other. That's not what life is about and it's a sad life if you live like that.

In Ghostbusters, I didn't just see four women killing ghosts. I saw four women encouraging each other's right to express their individuality, I saw four friends having fun together, I saw four women confident within their identities and not being hounded with doses of self doubt whilst crying into pizza and ice cream. There were women on the big screen just being awesome and not needing the help of a well established and successful man to do what they had to do. Each character interacted with the others like real women do. It was just really, really nice to watch a group of friends do something they love and that's it. 

One character in particular that has caused a fluster within the twitter-verse is Holtzmann. I can totally understand why because she's bloody brilliant. A glorious weirdo as you say, an oddity that doesn't even remotely try to embrace the femininity that most Hollywood actresses are forced to inhabit. She has inspired many to embrace their weirdness and this is what I needed 10 years ago. 

gif credit: Giphy
When I was 9, I watched Disney channel every single day. I watched things such as High School Muscial, Hannah Montana, That's so Raven, The Cheetah Girls, The Suite Life of Zac and Cody etc...all of these shows include at least 1 female character that is different and weird but portrayed at stupid or vulnerable. And all the characters were beautifully dressed with perfect faces and hair. These are the people that I had as inspirations. I wanted to be rich one day, to be beautiful and have a huge wardrobe of amazing clothes. This was not a realistic expectation to put upon a 9 year old who believes she can be anything she wants to be. It's simply false. 

However, Holtzmann's strangeness is what I needed. She has a beautiful heart, a desire for her passion, and no shame in her quirks. Not once in the movie is she put down by the other cast members for being herself. McKinnon's Holtzmann is confident within her duties in the film which is encouraged by Erin, Abby and Patty who all are in awe of her talent for engineering awesome ghostbusting weaponry. 10 years ago I needed a film with four women all on one level supporting one another. 

I only hope my 11 year old niece feels like she can conquer the world once she has watched this movie, because I do. 


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Charlotte Gallagher. All rights reserved.
Blogger Designs by pipdig